Size 6US (8UK) (4mm) needles
1 (50g) ball of (cassowary truffles) yarn in natural.
1 (50g) ball of light brown Double Worsted (8ply) wool
Small amount of orange felt.
Length of black wool ( for the eyes)
This knitting pattern shows you how to knit a gosling with fluffy fashion yarn for a feather look.
Body first ( begin at the bottom)- using 2 strands one of each of the yarns
cast on 13 stitches
1) knit into the back of each stitch
2) (knit twice into every stitch) (26)
5) (knit 2 knit twice into the next stitch) (34)
8) ( knit 2 knit twice into the next 2 stitches) to the end (50)
13) ( knit 2 knit 2 together twice) to the end (34)
18) ( knit 2 knit 2 together ) to the end (26)
23) this row begins the neck -
Knit 18 turn leave the remaining 8 stitches on a spare needle
24) knit 10 turn leave the remaining 8 stitches on a spare needle
Continue on theses 10 stitches
25) knit twice into the first and last stitch (12)
27) knit twice into the first and last stitch (14)
Knit 12 rows
Shape the head -
40) knit 3 knit twice into the next stitch knit 6 knit twice into the next stitch knit 3 (16)
41) knit 4 knit twice into the next stitch knit 6 knit twice into the next stitch knit 4 (18)
46) Knit 4 Knit 2 together knit 6 knit 2 together knit 4 (16)
48) knit 3 knit 2 together knit 6 knit 2 together knit 3 (14)
50) pick up one set of 8 stitches from the spare needle knit these and cast on 10 now knit the remaining 8 stitches from the spare needle .
Stitch the head and neck and fill with wadding,once the neck is nice and firm stitch the cast on 10 stitches to the base of the neck.
Now bring the side edges together (the two 8 stitches that were on the spare needle) (this will be the top of the back)
Now stitch the two body side edges together once you have filled the body stitch around the cast on edge and draw up tightly, secure. Then run a stitch around the neck to distinguish the head.
Wings ( make 2 )
Cast on 4 stitches
Knit 12 rows
Knit 2 together twice
Knit 2together thread yarn through stitches and fasten off.
Cut out your felt pieces ( cut 4 feet)(2 legs ) and (2 beaks) and Stitch together with a blanket stitch (fill the beak slightly)
Stitch the legs to the feet fill the legs nice and firm then stitch to the body.
stitch the beak in place
Eyes - make two French knots with the black wool
By Shellie Wilson. Shellie is the chief creative editor for Craftbits.