Country Flower Pot
Styrofoam Ball, 2 inch
Styrofoam Ball, 1 inch
Styrofoam Scrap Sheet Or Block, 2x2
Faded Blue and White Polka Dotted Blanket Binding, 64x1/2 inch
Faded Red and White Polka Dotted Blanket Binding, 54x3/4 inch
Green and White Polka Dotted Blanket Binding, 18x1/2 inch
Green Flower Stem Craft Wire, 18x1/8 inch
Faded Red Raffia, a small fistful, or 1/3 cup
Clay Flower Pot, at least 4 inches tall
Yellow Craft Paint
White Craft Paint
Candle Stub or Paraffin Wax
1. Cut both balls in half. For easier cutting, coat knife with candle or paraffin wax. Place each ball, flat side down, on a protected surface for painting.
2. Cover all four halves light yellow, and let dry. Use a tiny round shape, like the end of a paintbrush handle, and white paint to cover the balls in small dots. Let dry.
3. Take green binding and open up the fold. Cover fold in glue, then close binding around flower stem wire. Push along the fold to make sure both sides of the binding stick tightly to the stem. Let dry.
4. Twist wire gently in half, so a small loop is made at the bottom. Make the fold uneven, with one side 4 inches longer than the other.
5. Once flowers are complete and attached to stem, as directed below, take a clay flower pot, at least 4 inches tall, and paint it the same light yellow as the flower centers.
6. When the pot is dry, glue Styrofoam block to the inside bottom. Add some rocks to the bottom of the pot for weight, without covering the block. Put a little glue at the looped bottom of the flower stem and push it into the block. Let dry.
7. Cover block and rocks by filling the rest of the pot with faded red raffia. Wrap the remaining blue and white binding around pot and glue the ends together neatly, so it appears seamless. Now place flower against a wall or in the middle of a table, it looks great either way.
Large Flower Instructions:
1. Cut 7 strips of blue binding, and 7 strips of red. Make each strip 4-inches long. Fold strip over evenly, so the ends meet. Glue ends together, making a loop. Repeat gluing until all strips are loops. Let dry.
2. Take one ball half and glue loops of binding around ball like petals, with the binding tips attached to the ball. Interchange blue and red all around the ball. Let dry.
3. Place long side of flower stem wire on flat side of ball and glue, then let dry. Take other 2 inch ball half and glue it over the petals and wire, so that the flower has a center from front and back.
Small Flower Instructions:
Cut 4 strips of blue binding, and 4 strips of red. Make each strip 2 1/2 inches long. Repeat remaining steps from large flower. Glue small flower on short end of wire.
By Shellie Wilson. Shellie is the chief creative editor for Craftbits.